"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Friday, April 18, 2008

Politics -- Not For The Faint of Heart

Rob and I LOVE politics. He was a History Major and I was a Political Science Major. As a matter of fact, politics is what we bonded over...in our early twenties. There we were, 21 and 25, drunk at a party debating the validity of the existence of Israel. Yeah, it goes like that around here. The passions run deep, as they should. Having been urged by a few to post thoughts on various political issues and excited to do so, I do take this on carefully and, since I can't help myself, thoughtfully. I remind you all that this is MY blog, so if you disagree, start your own blog and I will gladly read with great interest, as I absolutely believe that INTELLIGENT exchange is the glorious beauty of Democracy.



I don't know how this will go just yet, but hopefully it will evolve into something cohesive. So, let's start off really slow.



Let's ponder together the power and importance of voting. This is a historic and exciting time for the run for presidency. It is my sincerest hope that you plan on voting. However, that being said, I also hope you have taken the time to understand the politics of who you're voting for. It is just plain stupid to vote for someone simply because they are a Democrat or a Republican. Many people take party political stances for granted and assume that since a politician belongs to a particular political party, that they believe and will fight as you would. That is OFTEN not the case and, by doing your homework I can guarantee (absolutely) that you'd be shocked at some of the positions YOUR candidate holds. So, go out there on the WWW and learn before you vote. If you don't want to do that, please, I BEG you, stay out of politics all together because voting is a huge responsibility to be taken seriously. If you cannot take it seriously, go Rock the Vote on American Idol.

3 comments:

denise, the honey crew said...

i love this jessica!!! i voted in the TX primary and returned for the caucus in early march. it was a great experience. i have struggled with selecting a candidate, and i do believe all elections are important but feel there is a lot of opportunity in the upcoming presidential election.

look forward to this evolving and reading more about your views and seeing exchanges!

and i'm with you, vote with passion and intellect or stick with AI!

the higgins family said...

fabulous, jess! i am so happy to see this evolving exactly as i hoped it would: a place for YOU to express yourself, to show your creativity and intelligence and to catalog YOUR life. fantastic!

now...i agree on voting. you know how i feel about voting (my child has a VOTE NOW sign in his room). your thoughts are on point and i think you'd be surprised to know that i am doing a little more homework myself. :)

Uncoo Michoo said...

Under normal circumstances, I would agree. But the last eight years have been nothing short of ABnormal :) However, in keeping with the theme of "change", I propose we begin the practice of electing a party of people to act as a group unit for the Presidency. I also say that one may serve again, even if he has already done his two terms. Grover Cleveland served two non consecutive terms. We've had some serve by default, either through illness or death of #1. There have been many variations on how to properly serve this office effectively. So, perhaps a unit, instead of a single person is the way to go here; and putting back someone who's been there before to provide his unique contribution towards a more unified whole might eliminate the unending criticism towards one person, who in the end, is only human.

Therefore, I cast my vote for the following: Andrew Johnson, Warren Harding, U.S. Grant, and what the heck, throw in Tricky Dick Nixon for good measure. Because however flawed they all were, even dead they could still do no worse than the baboon currently spinning his chair in oval office, with his finger on "the button"...

Love Always,

Uncoo Michoo