"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Living History













*
Thought the inauguration speech of our 44th President, Barack Obama, was really very, very good. He definitely has a diplomat's steady discourse. Let's HOPE his actions are as powerful and measured as his words. I find myself in a different state of mind than I was only 2 short months ago...cautiously optimistic.

While he was not my choice, I am an American first and believe so completely in our collective values, which were eloquently laid out before us today. And I believe that American Democracy is the realization of the best of human social evolution to not only recognize the beauty of the individual, but manage, in the same moment, to find unity in those differences and govern ourselves with this forward in our hearts. This is human history, not just American history.

Now, if we can just hold on to that feeling both in Washington and with each other when we disagree...

It's a good start!

5 comments:

me, dummy said...

i missed the entire thing because of work, but i find myself proud today of the progress we've made over the past century in this country, specifically in the area of diversity.

i have a work friend who's there witnessing it in person, so i'll let you know what she has to say upon her return!

Indivero Family said...

Great minds do think alike :)

Rita Jr. said...

i was fortunate to watch it during work. a co-worker of mine is also there, with his two sisters, and I'm anxious to hear from him what it was like to be there. another great day in American history. makes me so grateful. i am glad the day has finally arrived for him when he can get a move on and start. getting through that first day of a new job is always hard - i feel for the guy. the entire world watching one man - amazing. beyond overwhelming, esp. with what he (or more to the point, we) faces. it'll all be good.

Anonymous said...

Amen, and well-stated Jessica. You, of course, know how I feel about Barack Obama. I'm glad he's come along at this critical time in our country's history. I think he's special, and will rise to the occasion.
But we can expect more difficult times ahead...the problems we face domestically and abroad are incredibly complex and dangerous. He's no miracle worker, although there are many people in this country who seem to see him in that light. I'm convinced he has the intellect, communication skills, demeanor, and pragmatic judgment to lead us. But he's going to need bipartisan support and a willingness on the part of all of us to sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

well said pop-pop giorgio!!!!