Many days home with my kids, doing the Sahm (Stay-at-home-mom) gig is just fine. Some days are great and then there are some that make me feel like I'm standing on a 2 inch ledge on the 52nd floor flailing my arms to try and regain balance before I plummet over the edge...into insanity. Today has been one of those days. I'm posting out of rage...and hope that I can look back at this later in the week and laugh. Today, I'm not laughing.*
Above is a picture of the new lobby of the Veterinary Hospital I've been taking my cats since we got them nearly 15 years ago. Over the years, I've noticed the prices squeaking up and up, but they are loving and competent so I've continued to be a loyal "customer". My cats have never been anywhere else. Recently, one of our two remaining cats, Pita, began peeing blood...lovely. So this morning, kids in tow, I took her to "our" vet. They've been working on the new section for well over a year, but today was the first time I saw its decadence with my own eyes. While waiting in the lobby, I snapped the following shots. Yes, that's a complimentary coffee and tea maker. Yes, those are massive pendant lights hanging from the 2 story lobby. Yes, that's a gigantic FLAT SCREEN TV (one of two) in the lobby. At this point, I'm blissfully unaware of what the next hour held for me.

*So they had an emergency. CoCoa the dog ate human medication. They are so sorry we are being delayed. I smile and say it's not a problem. I'm hopeful for CoCoa's speedy recovery. Tristan gets antsy. Won't sit still. Falls in love with the automatic sliding doors...then tries to leave the building...several times. I apologize profusely to the staff and all others around us for the chaos that is Tristan. I start hating CoCoa.
*Finally, we make it into an examination room. Go through the whole spiel with the doctor. He wants urine and blood work done. I say "okay." He says he wants to do X-rays, I say "how much will that cost?" An additional $200. I must have scowled. We finally come up with a step-by-step plan. Pita is to be isolated at home and put on antibiotics. No X-rays or other fancy ultrasound tests this time around. Meanwhile, Tristan is a nut. I apologize profusely to the doctor. The vet assistant asks me if I need anything. I respond, " a vacation." She laughs. I'm serious.
They take Pita out for testing. Tristan continues his "now I'm two, I'm going to act like it" tirade. He puts is hands in the garbage.
Hangs from the examination table. Tries to leave the room several times. I even put him in time-out for 2 minutes (what a joke).*
The doctor comes back in. We talk some more with Tristan behind me. I hear him in my purse, but give the doctor my full attention. The doctor leaves, I turn around to find that Tristan has tried to put on mascara!
.jpg)
Okay, that's funny, but believe me, it wasn't when I was in the thick of it.
*
For the record, Ryan was beautifully behaved...I think he felt bad for me.
*
We're done. I head out to the lobby to pay and get the hell home before my 2 year old causes some permanent damage to the new digs. The sweet receptionist hands me the following bill:
.jpg)
$473.50
*
I consider letting Tristan loose with a baseball bat!
9 comments:
Like I said to you early during our venting convo. Do you really think the animals that come and go really care about the flat screen TV, coffee bar or nice new stainless steel exam tables.
If so, my dogs must think i'm a crappy owner. My vet's office boasts 70's wood paneling on the walls, vinyl bench seats with cat nail slices through it and a chipped formica exam tables.
I seriously would have what protion of my bill was paying for all the new amenities.
Fabulous! Well-written. I feel your pain, but Tristan is an absolute stitch. Stay tuned for coming attractions........
Pop Pop
'scuse my profanity - but I'm fuckin' done with these people Jess. They have been jacking us for a decade. Remember when we were going to put Buddy down because he pissed all over the house(s) for years, no one knew why? 100 bux.....to talk us out of it. Like idiots, we listened to them. This is the sauce for the goose - are you frickin' kidding me with this building? 473 bux......73 for the visit, 400 for the renovation. Niks 70's wood panel and plastic chairs sounds just fine to me.
Wow..that is INtense!
Belmar Wall Animal Hospital
Domenick Bonanno, DVM
(732) 681-5040
2306 Belmar Blvd, Belmar, NJ 07719
Just look past the paneling, cat scratched vinyl seats and formica ;)
dude, i hear ya. i know all about vet bills. they are crazy. my only rational is that i don't have kids and hank is like my kid. don't know what to say for you. except sorry to hear that it cost so much.
OH.MY.GOD. this is why i'm glad i got rid of my pets. i hate to be that way, but dang...the kids are expensive enough.
believe me, i've had similar experiences in the doc's office. it's so embarrassing i want to die. you are not alone.
I can't believe how opulant that place is! The animal hospital in the center of MONTCLAIR looks exactly as it did when it opened 30 years ago. Very basic, only the equipment is updated. That place obviously caters to the wealthy around that area who probably have such luxuries for their pets in the first place!
So what's the result on Peta?
And I love the goth look on Tristan. Hopefully, he'll start a punk band called The Pacifiers.
you are going to hate me for this.....
but just for the sake of devil's advocate....
i would pay $473 in a heart beat if it meant my dog could have worked out in my household....
i know....you hate me now!
Post a Comment