"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sleepless American

Well, I am beyond bummed that McCain lost and have an absolutely, utterly and completely sleepless night to prove it.

I'm deeply saddened that I cannot totally share the excitement of this historic election, but I had to vote my conscience. Know that I appreciate fully what this means for so many, especially African-Americans and for that I happily elevate their joy. I sincerely hope that for those of you who voted for Obama that he turns out to be everything you think he will and, for all our sakes, nothing that I think he will.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts, engaging in lively debate and listening. Believe me, this is not the end of my political commentary. It will be my mission to be a vigilant (and vocal) watchdog of the next administration.

Lots of Love!

9 comments:

Rita Jr. said...

Sleepless in Boston too....

Thanks for all the great discussions - and I will be right next to you watchdogging!

Indivero Family said...

Sleepless here too...

denise, the honey crew said...

jess - sounds like you've chalked it up as over before it's even started. sure hold him accountable, but give him a chance. i'm optimistic and am glad this 2 year election is O V E R!!!

can i recommend a show for you now that coverage is over (however i'm sure it's far from over)? it's always sunny in philadelphia - on the fx channel - it's the best show on tv!!

The Giorgios said...

D-happy you're optimistic...hope it catches this way. He's got the chance, but I'll be watching...like always do to every politician. My trust is yet to be earned and I sincerely hope he'll be what so many seem to already believe.

Someone has mentioned that show before to me. I just can't think of who it was. Twice suggested means I'll HAVE to check it out.

Yeah, I'm glad it's over. One door closes...

Anonymous said...

Folks,
Since I'm the oldest person on this blog, let me weigh in here. Yes, as Rob has noted, I'm a Democrat. But no, I don't vote strictly along party lines,(Tom Kean for Gov of NJ for ex.).
Having watched politics as an interested observer for most of my 68 years, I believe that we are watching the emergence of a great man. They don't come along very often. But they do seem to show up just when they're most needed (FDR, Lincoln, Ghandi, and Churchill come to mind).
I'm a notorious cynic, as my family will attest, having grown up in Hudson County, as corrupt a political system as any in the country.
That said, I think we will look back on the Obama years and realize that his intellect, people skills, judgment, and temperament allowed him to succeed in the face of one of the stiffest challenges in this nation's history. I'm convinced that he's a good man.
We need to rally around him now. I'm especially impressed with McCain's stated willingness to do just that (see his concession speech). He's the president of all of us.
The future looks frightening. We cannot afford continued polarization. The ways of Carl Rove and his ilk are, hopefully, over. My grandchildren's futures may well depend upon Barack Obama's success. Although I'm not religious, I pray that he'll fulfill the greatness that I see in him.
Sleep well, tonight, Jessica. We're going to be fine.

the higgins family said...

hooray pop-pop!

Anonymous said...

i'm with pop pop, couldn't have said it better myself. horray!!!!

Anonymous said...

Obviously, I tread on thin political ice with the other side of my family :) However, let me just say that ANYone who is crazy enough to want to assume leadership for the massive mess we are in needs our support! The guy's young, energetic and is already starting to get to work. This is what we need. Georgie told him to bask in the glory and take......what???? a VACATION!!! No more vacations! I'm very glad we gave George and Laura a lovely residence for the last eight years....you left the house a mess...now PACK! Believe it, Obama knows well that the entire country has their eyes on him. I firmly believe that he will be a person of action....regardless if you agree with his actions :) However, we as a country tend to set our leaders up to fail, of sorts.. People need to stand behind our leaders and support as much as warrented. Divisiveness has been the death of us all :) And I think EVERYONE can agree with that!

In the end, barring two key issues, I would have been ok with McCain....until he took a rather transparent tactic and added the moose hunter in $150k clothing...AFRICA IS A COUNTRY??????? Lord! Spend less time at revival meetings and more on learning about the rest of the world!!!! Super Mom as President??? To quote a really swell NJ homemaker Rob and I grew up with.."AAHHH, noooooeww...I doewn't theeeink sooewwww"

Moving ON! Look on the bright side: It's Camelot all over again! Young attractive President and first lady...little children in the White House.... JFK had his detractors too.... Hopefully, this time, everyone won't sacrifice safety for the sake of being one with the people on a sunny afternoon drive! I will say his secret service detail has a BIG job ahead!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as my father said....McCain's concession speech WAS truly wonderful. I actually felt sad for him. He royally screwed himself taking on soccor mom as his running mate. But that speech really made me see his humanity and caring beyond politics. Hopefully, he will still play a vital role in the next four years.