"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gratitude Come By The Hard Way


This school year, Ryan had class in the afternoons...at the exact same time that Tristan naps which means the only free time I have to do all my shopping must be done with kids in tow. (Sidebar: I cannot wait for this schedule to end). For the longest time, Tristan did not take notice of these cart "cars", so we didn't use them, but recently, as if a moment of magic fell on him, he suddenly realized what they were and he wanted to be a part of it. Technically, the boys are too big to sit in it together, but, of course, they HAD to. Add to this the Ninja costume (which Ryan is dead serious about and is upset that people are not taking it so) and you have the recipe for the longest bloody shopping excursion of my life. People would stop us every five feet to talk to the ninja. I'd feign pleasure at their noticing, but really just wanted to get the through the store before meltdown. Then the fighting over who was driving begins. Tristan's screams, "I driving!!!!" Ryan screams, "Tristan, I want to drive." I yell, "There are two steering wheels. What's the problem?....You know what? I'm actually doing the driving." My kids both cry and push on each other (I've belted them both in)...all witnessed over and over again by a neighbor we pass repetitively aisle after aisle after aisle. At check out, I snap at the cashier, "I'll bag" as my kids try to beat the holy crap out of each other (they are still belted in). Oh, what fun! But, hey, isn't it a cute picture?
So here's the end thought to all this, I now forgive (as if it's my right to do so) my parents for all their perceived failures, request they forgive me for those judgemental perceptions, and offer gifts to lay at their feet (of which I will kiss). My boys are only 5 & 1 and I'm prreeettyy certain I've totally screwed them up already. Tell me please, did our parents feel this way too?

5 comments:

Pop Pop Giorgio said...

Jessica,
Stop beating yourself up. They're fine and normal.
But I'd suggest an alternative to shopping with them. Try calling Gigi to babysit whenever the need arises (but don't mention that I suggested this!!!).
Seriously, try shopping after Tristan goes to bed. And don't EVER schedule them for school the same way in the future!
Yours truly,
Doctor Phil AKA Pop Pop

me, dummy said...

again with the parallel lives. i'll take your ninja and raise you the random taking things off shelves and asking for them and then throwing them when refused. sometimes...at other customers. or how about the time i got paged at kroger because henry took his little cart up to the checkout and loaded all his items up on the belt and then had no way to pay for them. GOOD TIMES.

the higgins family said...

cannot. stop. laughing. at. ninja.

OH MY GOD. dude. i feel your pain. i imagine ryan was talking the whole way, too, which made the whole excursion even more relaxing. ahhhh...the joys of motherhood.

ps: the picture is HILARIOUS

pss: and SERIOUSLY...the question you should be asking yourself is, "are they screwing ME up???" instead of the other way around. i think that's probably how our parents felt...i know it's crossed my mind. :)

denise, the honey crew said...

jessica - that peaceful day in PA when you told me the boys' schedule is the day i questioned your sanity! :-)

i LOVE shopping alone (hardly happens). i've never done a full shop with BOTH girls. i prefer to go at 10pm vs. take both of them with me!

kudos to you!

Uncoo Damaged Michoo said...

First off, Uncoo Michoo is off on Fridays during the summer, so stop postponing the inevitable!

Second. I refuse to accept that they were anything less than cute and adorable, as this picture obviously demonstrates.

And third, contrary to what Pop Pop is suggesting, too much time with GiGi will cause both my lil' buddies too become forthcoming with "comments", reserved in praising seafood, and very dependent on snacks and bottles of water when traveling anywhere beyond a 5 mile radius or for more than half an hour.