"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Little & Proud

Prior to the "heatwave" we experienced recently (thank God for the Spring-like break), we had a fair amount of snow to shovel and play in. Ryan desperately wanted to make a snowman and fondly remembering this activity as a child, I agreed. So, here he is. Yes, he's small, but would you believe it took us about 45 minutes to build this little guy? It's back breaking work and clearly a job only a kid could love (I was smiling on the outside, but screaming at the top of my lungs inside over the tedious and UN-fun work of it all). If there is an art to this that you could share, I'd appreciate the tips. Regardless, Ryan was awfully proud and, I guess, that's all that really counts. It's okay to laugh at his silly size...we did, hard.

Ryan's pride was such a refreshing reminder to enjoy even the simplest of accomplishments.

7 comments:

me, dummy said...

aw...he's a "little" snowman. i'm so glad you don't discriminate at your house. god loves all the snowmen, both great and small.

p.s. yes, it DOES suck building these guys. easier with a lower center of gravity, i think.

Indivero Family said...

Ryan should be very proud. Ours was about 3/4 that size and very lopsided.

I used to be a pro at snowmen. I think Emily is right, low center of gravity must be key.

Anonymous said...

he is absolutely adorable.

ryan should be proud.

see you on saturday night jessica.

the higgins family said...

big things come in small packages.

Rita Jr. said...

Great job, Ryan!

Anonymous said...

Jessica:
There's nothing more beautiful or relaxing than a good snowfall...Rob and I had some great times together whenever it snowed.
Now, here's a tip for building a snowman: if the snow is sticky (good packing), simply start with a large snowball and roll it around your yard until it's big enough to serve as the base. Then do the same with another one, a bit smaller, to be placed atop the first ball. Finally, an even smaller ball for the head. Simple to do...but the snow must stick. Powdery snow won't work.
See, you learn something new every day.
Pop Pop

denise, the honey crew said...

saw the first pic and didn't think the snowman was so small. then saw the scale with the pic next to ryan. at that point i was just looking at how freaking cute ryan is!