"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Thursday, July 10, 2008

Jersey Girl...Ahhh...No

Permit me, please, to vent. This may get lengthy. To fully understand my position here, you must attempt to put yourself in my shoes. Where to begin? How's this? I am not from New Jersey. I grew up an army brat and lived overseas or in the Southern U.S. most of my life. To say living here is culture shock is an understatement. I still have not settled into the mindset that I may very well live the rest of my life here and still cling to dreams of leaving. A little more perspective...I've lived here now for 15 years! Ouch!
*
My husband is from New Jersey and has a very warm and loving family. It's not so much the intimate relationships I've found here that cause so much stress (although they even admit that their mode of operation is quite different than that of my family - for better or worse, not debating that here), it's the interaction among people here who do not know one another. It's truly bizarre to me...totally foreign...and in my opinion flat out rude, uncaring, and deflating. As an example (partially anyway), I'm sharing my experience taking Ryan to swim camp for 2 weeks as a microcosm of life here.
*
Let me set the stage. There is ONE driveway in and out and, no exaggeration, HUNDREDS of people dropping off and picking up their kids. Aside from trying to get in a lane to get through the Lincoln Tunnel (heading into NY), this is the most cut-throat experience I've had in NJ to date and these are Mom's in their minivans and SUV's (note the SUV alive and well in The Garden State). There is no other place to park as this school is off a fairly large road. You have no choice, but to park in their lot.




Here, I am parked. I very much want to get into the line of cars seen here in front of me (to conform to the traffic pattern that the school would like everyone to follow at an attempt at order. Needless to say, there are many who think they are more important than others and buck the system). Okay, we are all trying to get out, yet, some people pretend they don't see you (and the other hundred folks) trying to get out. I inch forward and look at them for confirmation that they will let me out. They inch forward to let me know I will not be getting in front of them and not ONCE look my way. I do this over and over and over again just trying to get my car out from the spot in which I've parked. Rob was with me on this particular day and kept saying to me, "Get in there! Don't let her do that to you. Uhh, this if fucked." Like I said, he's from these parts, I'm not.


This is the view behind me. See the red vehicle in the back. That's another line of cars wanting to get out and that's a especially long line since there is more parking in the back. I call that the Netherworld. If you get stuck parking back there, you may as well pitch a tent because it can easily take you 30 minutes just to get out of the school's one driveway. Did I mention that it's one driveway in and out?

Apparently these are for decoration.


These are the guys "directing" traffic. Hmmmm, good job fellas. No, really your hair looks great and yes, she was just totally checking you out. Would you mind telling the bitch in the car next to me to let me out into the line of traffic already?



Finally, we get to the end of the driveway. I'd really like to make a left, but guess what, I can't. More anxiety, because now I have to go through the same scenario and hope that the person in the car at the end of the driveway is from somewhere else, like Ohio, so that they are kind enough to let me out onto the major road. Otherwise, the NJ folks behind me will lay on their horns (not kidding either) because I haven't rammed my way into the traffic with my kids in the car. Not wondering why we have the worst insurance rates in the country anymore, eh?
*
Sidebar: Rob just came back from Ohio and said, I quote, "People are so nice there. It's just weird. I kept thinking, "What do they want from me."" I replied, "No, it's weird that you find someone being nice weird or that you assume they want something from you just for being nice." He's starting to get it.


Because we all had to turn right (we're crawling).

I'd love to turn around so I'm headed the direction I need to go, but now we have these all along the road.

No U. NO, NO YOU! I am never shopping here because they wouldn't even let me turn around!!!!



This one I understand, it's some one's house. But you get the point.


Finally, we reach the circle (rotary) more anxiety, more cut throat driving required...can I get in? Oh damn, can I get out? Please look at me fellow driver and indicate if you plan on just driving me off the road.

The traffic (not really moving) on the other side of the circle...I'm exhausted just looking at it. It's only rage that will help me finish today's blog.
*
So, Betsy and I have discussed this at length. Her rude and unfriendly neighbors. Road rage while walking. The difficulties of making friends here.... And Betsy, in her strength and wisdom says we need to lift our chins and be who we are. I feel renewed in that spirit to have her here, however, I'm curious (sorry Betsy) if she'll feel that way after 15 years. I pray not for my beautifully warm hearted friend. For far too long I've been told, "you're too sweet." "Don't let people push you around like that." "You have to fight back." It's so tiring. Why? Why can't people just be civil? Why do I have to change me to have someone "respect" me?
*
Here's a story that I think applies:
*
A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as if as soon as one problem was solved a new one arose.
*
Her mother took her to the kitchen. The mother filled three pots with water. In the first, she placed carrots. In the second she placed eggs. And the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil without saying a word. About twenty minutes later, she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she said, "Tell me what you see." "Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied. (You known the tone of voice.) She brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did, and noted that they felt soft. She then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg inside.Finally, she asked her to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.
*
The daughter then asked, "So, what's the point, mother?" (Remember the tone of voice.) Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity - boiling water - but each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid center. But, after sitting through the boiling water, its insides had become hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water...they had changed the water.
*
"Which are you?" she asked her daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot , an egg, or a coffee bean?"
New Jersey is my boiling water. I desperately want to be coffee and show kindness, thoughtfulness, simple manners that show respect and hope that this giving spirit takes hold and spreads like a happy virus. But, if I'm honest, I think I'm an egg boiled so long I might bust through the shell. I'm ever working on it though. I'm still trying to be coffee although right now it might taste a bit bitter.

21 comments:

Rita Jr. said...

i have anxiety just READING this! my chest tightened up! WOW...up here i've witnessed people just close their eyes and go for it :) that is insane and i admire that you went back day after day so ryan could swim. and if i recall weren't you SICK while doing this?!? mothers amaze me every day.

i like the story at the end...that's great. i'd like to be coffee too.

The Giorgios said...

Yes, Rita, thank you for remembering. I was very sick and Rob was away. I'm sure the drama in my story stems from that, but it has been (and still is) a very rough adjustment for me.

I think you sound like coffee already.

Rita Jr. said...

Jess - as one blogger (but i'm still at super junior status) to another, the way you told this story and laid this out with the pics is fantastic. Betsy is right, you guys are totally KICKING IT with your blogs.

me, dummy said...

if it's any consolation (probably not), the drivers in texas are rude too. the whole "drive friendly" texas motto is a farce, at least in the cities. the only difference being the honking which is an extreme in texas, even in the cities. if you honk in a small town, even if it's an emergency and you have to, people assume you're from new jersey -ha!

but i have to say that the people (driving aside) in texas are friendly. in the small towns when you pass on a country road, the drivers wave to one another like old friends. i call it "the texas wave" which any good driver, even in the city, should give to someone who lets them in their lane in traffic.

i hate traffic, and i feel you. like i've said before, i listen to books on tape and just zone out in order not to lose my ever loving mind.

but don't lose your nice - please don't. and having been there 15 years and remaining a nice person, i think you're safe. betsy is a good influence and i think she will always be nice...unless you are wearing a fur coat in the grocery store, and i'll let her tell you that story. it's one of my all time favorites and makes me laugh every time i think about it.

denise, the honey crew said...

i only lived in boston for 5 years, and the rotary is a WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE!!

i don't know what state i should live in....i am an unfriendly driver but (i think) a friendly person.

15 years though...if you maintained grace this long, i think the grace is here to stay! kudos!

Rita Jr. said...

Yes - i'm back again b/c i have to tell you that i went out at lunch and was laughing thinking about this post. just looking at the pics..it looks like someone sounded an alarm down there and told the state of NJ to evacuate! when i first linked over, i scolled over the pics and thought "what tragedy befell NJ?!?"

oh - swim class for 4 year olds.

i know the northeast isn't easy, jess. i'm made more & more aware of that every day. i think it has something to do with the seasons changing? or that we are sitting ON TOP of one another. but then again, i don't see the japanese flipping out or being rude and have you ever seen their commuter crowds? i wish i could get to the bottom of the northeast issue. i think i should start by buying everyone a coke. :)

Rita Jr. said...

PS i guessed on the age...i forget how old ryan is.

ok - i'm done now.

Anonymous said...

wow, i also have anxiety just from reading this story. i feel so bad for you to have to deal with this crap. rob is right the people in ohio are very nice and gracious, my uncle has lived in columbus for 22 years and i love to go visit. my only question to you is if there are that many cars then obviously there are that many kids if not more(i'm sure some families have more then 1 child), how many lifeguards/swim instructors are there to keep an eye on that many kids??????

good luck to ya, keep the faith sister.

The Giorgios said...

R- Yes, he's 4. And, yes, all this for swim instruction. I don't think we'll be returning next year.

T-It was a bit scary dropping him off the first day because I had just that same thought, but despite the parking, the instruction was great and the student to instructer ratio was excellent. Still, I think I'll teach him to swim myself even if it's just in the bathtub.

The Giorgios said...

D- How do I get spell check on my comments block? I really need it. Don't you have it on yours?

Anonymous said...

i had to take a break from reading. i will continue chapter two later and then comment! looks like it is a doozie though!

Indivero Family said...

OH my dear friend... I am a Jersey Girl born and raised. Even after spending my entire life here I am still trying to be coffee, especially since I do not need any more stress in my life. Right now i'm still an egg but I do have moments of rich yummy aroma of a good cup of joe.

I can't help but laugh at all the makes of vehicles in the pictures, gives me an idea of the types of women you may be dealing with.

Side note- whenever I go to the Manasquan outlets (just down the road from the swim school) I make an illegal left out of the parking lot, no way I am hitting the circle. I used to justify if with "i'm from out of town", that was when I still had NY plates... doesn't work so well now.

We have to get together so I can meet Betsy... I love listening to your stories, with Betsy it would be double the fun :)

The Giorgios said...

L-I know it's long. My next post, whatever it may be, will not be long or political. Long and political makes Jess a dull girl.

N-I love that you noticed the makes of cars. Even though mine make suggests I am one of them, I don't wash mine (or clean out the inside for that matter) so that's how I justify that I'm not truly one of them. Also, ONE time I made the left getting out of there because I had the opening...not kidding, a mom gave me the finger. I gave it back...see where the egg comes in?

Anonymous said...

What, you got a problem wit dat?
Joisey Pop Pop

The Giorgios said...

Pop Pop, yah cawfee!

denise, the honey crew said...

no - not spell check on the comments. does that make me a good speller? (i'm not.)

denise, the honey crew said...

see how i just made a grammar error ("no" not "not")....case in point.

The Giorgios said...

D-You must be a good speller! Spell check actually wouldn't help me that much since my biggest problem is using a perfectly spelled word...wrong. Example in a post above. Should have said "my" make, but says "mine." I need to proofread better.

Anonymous said...

Quit f'ing bitching. :))))

That carrot, egg, coffee bean proverb was used by the departing dean of education here at the university. Having never heard it before, I was impressed by it. Now I see it's more widely known than I first thought. Figures... In a crucible of angst, frustration, ineptitude, and insecurities, it's only fitting for the dean of the EDUCATION college to pontificate, rather than DO!!!!! And to just refer to an established message, rather than being innovative to create something NEW!!!

Oh, I'm sorry.......am I venting? I wonder if it has anything to do with having lived in NJ all my life??? Here's a Jersey proverb for you: A woman walks into a shelter for battered women with two black eyes. The receptionist, horrified, asks the counselor on duty what they should do! The counselor responds, "Nothing. She's already been told twice"......DUHKOOHH!! I'm kidding! I'M KIDDING!!! HA HA.....TEE HEE!!! Buuuttt seriuosly folks......the moral of the story is.....you can be a glutton for punishment or get the "fawwwk outta hea'" I LOVE my state: diverse culture, environment, history, et. al. But believe me, it is NOT an easy place to live!!! Cold, competitive, VERY EXPENSIVE..... However, if we adhere to the adage about "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"......This can be a very....uh......developmental (!) place to live!! If you don't die early from reckless driving, every third person with a butt in their mouths, pollution, strange cancer causing crap in the Toms River soil, a stress related heart attack from being "numero uno" in every area of your personal and professional life, embarrassment at how ignorant many of the people in this state are beyond sales at Kohl's or how to get better season tickets for the Giants, skin poisoning from too many "tatts" and hair dye so you can look like all your "bro's" in Belmar during the summer, or the new lift of the ban on offshore drilling made by my trusted pal and walking version of the Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd dummies I played with as a child, who is our President.

Forza F'ckin' Jerrrzzyyyyy....DEWWWDDDDD (devil sign)

Anonymous said...

If you just remember that for every Springsteen, there is also a Sebastian Bach (80's hair metal singer, NOT the composer!); for every Meryl Streep, there exists a Tara Reid (yea, she's from jersey, dewd); for every Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Grover Cleveland, or Woodrow Wilson, there is Aaron Burr, Richard Kulcklyski (notorious hit man dubbed "The Ice Man"), Anthony Acceturo (famous Newark mobster); for every Paul Robeson, there was Ruben "The Hurricane" Carter,for every Lou Costello, there was Bud Abbott(!!??).....for every Ernie Kovacs (comedian, pioneer in use of tv as a medium) there is Jerry Lewis and Joe Piscopo(?)...and among many a sandy beach, beautiful moutain or forest, there exists rusted beer cans, syringes, countless cigarette butts, and used condoms....... You must essentially choose to see the good through the mire of "sheeee'it)

the higgins family said...

jess...we have discussed it so many times. you know how i feel. be the change you want to see in the world. i know that is not original so perhaps, michael, i am potificating, but i thing there is some value in that statement.

having said that...i did scream at someone while walking last summer who did not let me - 7 months pregnant, walking a dog, 100 degrees, IN A CROSSWALK - cross the street. it's a work in progress. recognizing that is everything.

and for what it's worth...i can clearly tell you aren't from here...from the very first hello i knew. that's gotta count for something.