"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Other Members of Our Household

Besides the human folk in our house, we have three cats. Notice the title of this post does not say other members of our "family." Unlike my kind hearted, animal loving friend Betsy (who could have been a vet for sure), I'm kind of over being a pet owner. Prior to becoming a mother, my cats were my babies. I was a crazy cat lady and happy then to be so. I'd love and snuggle and pet for hours on end and be covered in cat hair from top to bottom and never pay it any mind. These days, I find being a pet owner delivers far less joy than it once did.
When Ryan came along, I was still thrilled to share my time with cats and even happier that the cats really seemed to love being around my new baby. Fast forward only a few months into Ryan's arrival and I was done with the cats. Cat hair found on everything the baby owned, including pacifiers. With less time to care for the cats as Ryan got older, the duties I once enjoyed (such as petting and combing) became unwelcome chores.
*
To boot, not a single one of our cats is "normal." Below is a photo of our remaining cat collection, Maynard (left), Higgins (background (and yes, named after Ned Higgins who saved him from being hit by cars)) and, last, Pita (our only female; her name stands for Pain In The A**; we did not name her, but it's fitting).
Now, before you start feeling sorry for the "unwanted" cats, let me tell you a bit about them.
*
Pita meows all night long...loudly! She sheds like nothing you or anyone has ever seen. It' truly awful.
*
Higgins is a dirt bag. He doesn't clean himself and the other cats are not willing to help. He's cranky and often growls, hisses and snaps at Ryan and Tristan. He also splashes his water out of the bowl. We cannot figure out why he does this, but it makes a huge mess to be cleaned from the floor and walls daily (like I have time for this).
*
Maynard, who is neutered, likes to have sex with pillows, blankets and, his all time favorite, stuffed animals he drags from the boys' rooms. This is actually funny sometimes, but more annoying since I find molested stuffed animals all over the house.
*
None of these cats buries their poops...it's a wonderful smell to have waft in while you're eating dinner. They tire me and I just don't have anything else to give.
*
Luckily, my Mom, who is a true animal lover (I only played one on T.V.) has agreed to take all 3 cats. The catch (doesn't there always have to be one?), we have to wait until her 15 year old cat passes. This unfortunately has me inquiring into this cats health when I visit. Other than a few missing teeth, he's in good health. Sigh. I know, Betsy, I know... I know, Mom, I know...
*
All that said, I do still love them...but I don't have the desire to love ON them or clean up after them. Don't call Animal Services just yet, they have food, clean water and 2 clean litter boxes. Isn't that all a cat really needs anyway?

So, not to be forgotten, the cat shown in the picture above was Butler (aka Buddy). We had to put him down in February of this year. It truly broke my heart. I miss him more than I thought I ever would. You see, he was our pee-er. We ripped up carpets and refinished floors for this cat. We threw clothes and towels away for 13 years for this cat. He peed on anything. I confess that am still relieved to not have to deal with this issue anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't think about how much I miss him at least a few times a week. Now, if I could just find a way to miss the rest of them...

8 comments:

the higgins family said...

friend...you know how i feel about your cats. i would take maynard tomorrow but there's no room in this inn. however, that doesn't prevent me from sympathizing with your situation. my cats are good - they don't make any noise unless hungry, don't pee on stuff, don't hump and don't splash water on anything. they don't really even shed obscenely and i am glad. just think one day they'll all be gone....and i don't think for a second it'll be "forever" until you have another one.

me, dummy said...

dude, i cannot even TELL you how much i feel you on this one. right after charlie was born, we moved into the house we're living in now. we had two cats and a pug dog. though i loved the dog, the dog CRAPPED on everything and was also a leg-lifter. david told me (half bluffing, i think) that he'd get rid of the dog if i'd get rid of the cats. DONE - i said.

loved my cats - i really really did. but the litter box...? not so much. once babies happened to us, the litter box issue got WAY down on the list of have-tos until the situation was dire...and there's nothing worse.

so...i have been pet-free for 3 years and i have to say i love it. i love love love cats and dogs, but until i have the time to(or interest in) picking up poop, beit canine or feline, i think i'm out of the pet game.

The Giorgios said...

Oh God, Nik, I'm crying with laughter over your comment! Just too funny!

Oh, and yes, Maynard is still an ass dragger...another one of his many wonderful qualities.

denise, the honey crew said...

i, too, hear you. i have stated numerous times, and besty can vouch: i love the animal, not the pet. we do have a dog, cinco. he has cost us our entire savings because of his allergies. i also hate that i love him.

with deepest empathy, denise

Anonymous said...

OH!!, i can't believe you all are saying these things about your pets.... i would be absolutely lost with hank, i have always had a dog or cat in my life or multipule ones.

The Giorgios said...

Tia, have kids and see how you feel about it then. Who knows, you'd probably be just like Betsy (happy to share your home with all) or, you could be surprised to find yourself thinking just like me. Hey, want some weird cats?

Anonymous said...

I am so melancholy reading this....mostly because Robert, Jessica, Ryan, and Tristan have Maynard because of ME. Maynard was a gift to me for my birthday....unexpected. His true full birth name was Maynard James Kitten, a variation on the lead vocalist of our combined favorite band,Tool. From the start, Maynard was a 24 hr nightmare: Cats are traditionally nocturnal, but this screwball would do flying leaps on me, land his ass on my face, and dig his lil' claws firmly into my chest and neck. Not what you want in the middle of a deep sleep at 3:30 a.m.......he spent many nights in the locked bathroom just so I could cease falling asleep at work the next day. Second, IMMEDIATELY upon finishing his cat food, he would scramble and claw his way up my leg to get at my dinner plate as if he hadn't eaten in a week.....just imagine the dire carnivorous zest of a small cat climbing your bare leg like he was being chased up a tree by a pack of wild dogs. I believe I still bear the scars.

Anyway, this bundle of joy was given to me a week before going down to my parents' place in Florida. "We already arranged to take care of him while you're away" was R & J's cheery response...... I spent teh whole vacation torn between being tied down by the lovable but terroristic monster and just giving him back and being FREE again! Upon returning to sunny NJ and driving down the Long Branch to retrieve my burdon, I threw all the cat accessories (litter box, food, etc) into the trunk, just in case I had the $%%^ to give him back. I almost would have made it back home with said feline short bus rider, until Jessica (yes, it IS all your fault, Jess)smiled over a dinner out with Rob and her asked "so when did you decide that you wanted to keep Maynard?" ............I put down my fork, screwed up my nerves, and said "......guys, I have something to say..." at which point Robert's face fell and turned white. I then told them I couldn't hack it, and to PLEASE give this kitten back to the original owner. They both unanimously agreed that Maynard was "cool" "funny" "unique" and so full of energy as to make the other older, VERY lazy cats actually start moving their fat bellies around playing......

And is how Maynard came to be......

comments, kudos, death threats, etc.....may be sent to m.giorgio@att.net

Debra Jean said...

Jessica: Forgot to tell you that I sent your "cat blog" to Grammy. I truly do wish I could take the kitties now (Craig REALLY wants Maynard, and Pita has always been my favorite Grandkitty, despite the hair), but you know how old Vico would react.

How did they react upon your return from vacation?