I have two places on the globe that have made such a mark on me that I actually tear up when I think about them both. They are Petra, Jordan and Jerusalem, Israel. This sense of awe and wonder is what a true traveller seeks. I hope that my life will continue to be filled with such journeys and that I will find yet another place that will rise to level of amazement I found in both these places.
Petra, Jordan is the place where I fell in love with the beauty of the desert. Prior to my visit there, I had no appreciation for what desert beauty was. Hearing someone talk of the desert in this way was totally lost on me until Petra. I like to think of myself as a pretty good writer, but I lack the vocabulary to express the inspiring splendor of this location. I was so moved by Petra that I have often thought that this would be the place where I'd like my ashes to be thrown into the wind. Pictures do not do it justice, so I highly recommend a visit. Put it on your list. It will not disappoint you! (That is me standing at the bottom of the picture above).
Walking through the "Siq" (created by a river when there was water here--mind blowing).
Which then opens up at the end to this...
The Treasury of which every bit was hand carved directly from the rock wall.
After quite a climb up a steep mountain side, the monastery was revealed. Across from the monastery is massive cliff that drops forever. There are no rails and you can walk right to the edge and see for miles! Truly amazing.
Tomorrow...Jerusalem.

12 comments:
you are NOT going to believe me, but i've been to both Jordan AND Israel. i didn't go to petra, though - i was in amman (sp?). that's just a big ole ugly desert city. clearly i visited the wrong city. i can't wait to hear your impressions on israel. it is an incredible place and i saw everything. wooho!
Cool E! Yeah, we swung by Amman while there. I agree that it isn't too special, but we all thought the US Embassy was beyond impressive. Quite the palace compound. I have a thing for seeing the US Embassy in every country I go to. It's our impression to that country. That was a great one!
okay - this is wonderful. i have never been here but understand what it is like to see something that totally blows your mind and exceeds all expectations. i felt that way seeing the great barrier reef and my pictures of it do not do it any justice. love this series!
emily - i had no idea! woo!
this may be a dumb question, but is this where they filmed that last scene from indiana jones and the last crusade? if so (and i'm showing my blonde here...), i guess i never realized that was a real place. WAY cool.
jess - i love travel too. i'm not very seasoned, but i do have a lot of dreams and love reading about places. this is really really cool!
E-Yes, you know your Indiana Jones!
B-You know Australia is on my list...my very long, ever growing list. Australia is near the top.
D-If we actually get a ladies group to VT, maybe we could plan on something more exotic for the future like India and Tibet (also on my list)?
i knew these two women (second-hand, one of them taught with erin) but they made a pact to take a fabulous trip once they turned 50 and they went to tibet and did it local style...sherpas and everything.
so, not that we need to wait until we are 50 but i've always thought that was so cool and wished i could do it with someone. if we pull this VT trip off i think there'll be no stopping us.
and, i've told denise, i think fall 2008 sounds as good as anytime for VT. anyone?
i'm in. i'm in for VT in the fall. i have a fab place for us to stay!
i'm in for australia, tibet, and india too. my bank account says no, but my heart says YES!
if we can go bargain basement, i am totally in for vt in the fall. of course, i'll need AMPLE time to prepare the husband. oh who am i kidding...i'm sure he'll pawn off the kids on my parents.
and i've never been to vermont, so this will be wildly exciting for me.
I'm in!!! I will also have to make plans for my boys, but I have a lot of options. Let's get it going.
Jess...this is beautiful. I love all the pics but the one of the "siq" is amazing.
I'm in for Fall '08 to VT!
Post a Comment