"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Victory For Character

I simply could not be happier today that Barack Obama will be the Democratic nominee for President! Regardless of where you stand politically, it is my feeling that both candidates, McCain and Obama, are good people with strong moral character. It is a victory for us all either way.


The realities when compared to political theory (since it was my major and a deep love, I have way too much political theory swirling around in my head) are that in the global political spectrum these two individuals are not so far apart. It's like debating the difference between lavender and lilac. Yes, they are different, but they are both shades of purple and both require varying amounts of red, white and blue. With enormous anticipation, I look forward to the debates between the two. It is my sincerest wish that they will have a gentleman's debate, exit the mud slinging, but I'm not holding my breath. This is going to be fun!


Some years ago, I read "Faith of My Fathers" by John McCain. It was absolutely inspiring and I developed a deep appreciation and admiration for him. He is one of the most liberal of the republican Senators which I think is a sign of the times. I am currently sporting a McCain sticker which baffles some and doesn't surprise others.


I have not read "The Audacity of Hope", but it is on my list and I'd like to do it before the elections in November. My grandfather has read it and, as a result, has decided to vote for Obama. Because I value my grandfathers opinion so much and because I love politics so much, I will make it my mission to have this read before then.


I am a political anomaly. Like a metronome, my political values dip with equal rhythm into both party platforms. Socially liberal, yet fiscally and internationally conservative. I support a woman's right to choose and the death penalty. I can find reasons to vote for both of these men, so today, I am quite content.

Go America!

**I fully realize that I have opened up a massive can of worms. All your comments are welcome, just make sure they are thoughtful and concise.



6 comments:

the higgins family said...

yesterday was a great day for america and me personally as an obama supporter. i too look forward to the debates...both on tv and at our breakfast club meetings. :)

me, dummy said...

how's THIS for concise - i will NOT be voting for another old white man. i'm all done with that. i'm glad it's obama though, instead of hillary. she scares me a little...in the way that a horror movie scares me.

denise, the honey crew said...

this is so well put and concise. i can almost exactly align myself with your statements regarding equal rhythm into both party platforms, Socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

i think there is great opportunity for this election, either way.

as a hillary supporter (i know you love her or hate her....i am neither - i do respect her for her lifetime of service and do believe that she has a genuine interest and love for our country and i admire that), i was not sad per se yesterday but felt a bit like "awww, bummer".

so jessica - tell us more! who will be the running mates of these fine candidates?

Rita Jr. said...

I was bummed yesterday..but i think in the same vain that Denise was - well put, Denise! I am in a bit of a quandry cuz neither current candidate really rocks my vote.

BUT i am so interested in who the running mates will be...i'm hanging on that today and will weigh it in my decision for later.

R

Anonymous said...

Well, Thank GOD there is ONE person of reason in that house!!!!! It must get arduous constantly having to serve straw and oats every night.

Anonymous said...

Sweet Jessica,
You're very wise. How the hell did you ever hook up with that turkey you married?
Oh, and your writing skills are first rate.
Pop Pop