
Monday is Memorial Day...a day of remembrance for those who gave their lives in service to our country. It stirs great emotion in me, because I do not think there is a higher calling or greater commitment than that of a soldier. I am an army brat through and through. As a child I was, at an age far too tender for such weighty a subject, painfully aware of what being a soldier meant. It was my father's profession (an officer in the U.S Army) and, just like any dad's job, we talked about what he did. I knew that at any moment he could be sent off to war. I thought about it virtually everyday throughout my childhood. I pondered the meaning of this so hard and long, that I doubt anyone could or should challenge me on the subject.
.
Nobody likes war. But I submit to you that nobody likes war LESS than a soldier. Yet they go when the call comes because they value something greater than their own lives. I look at my sons and know that I want them to live free. I'm deeply grateful to those who gave their lives so they can be...so that we can all be free.
.
For far too many Americans, Memorial Day weekend is nothing more than a fun filled 3 day weekend of cookouts, sun and family...and, that is the spirit with which people deliver the words, "Happy Memorial Day." I, too, hope you have a very happy Memorial Day weekend, but please also take a moment to give thanks for those who have done what many of us could never find the courage to do and reap the rewards of someones greatest offering...their life.
6 comments:
From the desk of Rob:
One of the many reasons I love my wife. I have the deepest respect for the military and their families. These people endure hardships, time away from each other, and constant movement. It's a fascinating way of life, not for the faint of heart. Jessica's dad Terry and step-dad Ralph were also life-long United States Army officers. A special breed of people, not based on politics, but values. Not only am I extremely proud to call them family, I am proud to call them and those like them, my friends.
BTW - Jess, that quote is over 100 years old, but its come full circle hasn't it? We've got it so good in this country that we have completely taken for granted how good it actually is.
That photo at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier brings back memories of our visit their in 06. They were changing the Guard, we were all on our feet, and it was very warm in mid-August. There was one guy sitting on the step completely missing the point. This blatant act of disrespect sent me into a tizzy and so I went over and started motioning to him to get off his ass and stand up. At first he looked confused, and then it hit him and jumped up. I got a tap on the shoulder from Debra (Jessica's mom) thanking me for doing it. I think it would have been much worse for him if she had been the one. After they finished, we were walking back to the car and this guy pulls me aside to apologize for sitting there, it was then I realized he was not American. He was not being disrespectful, he just didn't understand. He was Japanese. I was relieved. I was under the impression that one of my own countrymen had shown up in Arlington National Cemetery and basically flipped the bird to the whole affair. Not so. Chalk one off for the Yanks.
Hi Jessica,
I am a friend of Betsy's and often read your blog. You do a great job with it.
Great post today - so well put.
Have a great Memorial Day weekend.
Rita
jessica - this post is exactly the reason i encouraged you to start this blog. you have so many thoughtful and important points to make and this piece on memorial day proves that. your writing is wonderful, your point clear and thoughtful and i am so glad that this blog has give you the space with which to express yourself. those of us who read it benefit from your wisdom and i, for one, am better for it.
thank you for this reminder. although my dad was in the national guard, only one person in my family served in the army during war time - my grandfather stanley. he served in WWII and received several honors which are displayed in a shadow box in our house in lamesa. in fact, his uniform is on display in the lamesa museum. (small town!) anyway, he was my favorite grandfather and i will stop and remember him in a different light today because of reading this. i thank you for that.
you are a neat person, jess...and i love ya! -betsy
ps: my friend rita, who commented on this post, has a brother that serves currently so you obviously hit a spot for her, too.
Hey - I'm back..grabbing the quote to share with my Dad.
Yeah - Betsy references my being touched by this post:
Grandfather - Army WWI (we have his discharge papers)
Father and various uncles - Army, Air Force and Marines - WWII
Brother, - 20 year career Marine, 10 active, 10 reserved. Served in Qatar and Afghanistan recently.
Close family friend - Marine, just returned last weekend from 2nd tour of duty in Iraq.
They - and all that have come & gone in service - have my respect & gratitude.
Again - you said it so well here...thanks.
Rita
Rita-
I LOVE your family history of military service! I have the utmost respect for soldiers and even more (if that's possible) for families that serve through the generations. Rob is right, they are a special breed. Please pass on our thanks to them.
Thanks for posting. Hope to hear more from you in the future.
Jess
jessica - this is beautifully put. thank you for reminding me what memorial day REALLY is! thank you.
Post a Comment