"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."

-Albert Schweitzer





Monday, May 12, 2008

OMG...I am tired!!!

This past weekend was not only Mother's Day, but also my Dad's birthday and Lucy Rose's Baptism. In an effort to recognize all these important events, we had a dizzying weekend that operated at breakneck speed. Not only did we have the actual events, there was an enormous amount of preparation which included cleaning, food shopping, gift & flower shopping for all three events, cooking (more cleaning), bathing kids, ironing and dressing an entire family...etc. By Sunday night, I was spinning and spent.


Saturday: My Dad was born ON Mother's Day (how cool, right?) and since he was my grandmother's first baby, she became a mother on Mother's Day. His birthday does not always fall on Mother's Day, however, so when the stars align and the anniversary of the two days become one, it is incredibly important to her and to us. Only two years ago, my grandparents were in a head-on collision and they nearly died. They both had broken necks for which my grandfather had to have surgery. My grandmother had to have two emergency surgeries for internal bleeding. It is truly amazing that they survived (the car was smashed beyond recognition). Their recovery has been a long one and they are doing remarkably well...especially for "old folks". Saturday night Rob and I hosted a birthday/Mother's Day dinner for Dad, Chris and my grandparents. We had a really nice time and I'm so happy we could share this important day. There was a lot of laughter and memories I will hold close to my heart for the rest of my lifetime.


Sunday: Lucy Rose, our niece, was Baptized on Sunday.
Since my grandparents spent the night at our house Saturday night, we had a very hurried morning of seeing them off, getting kids and selves dressed and packed for the day and in to NYC. Of course, we were late...but only about 3 minutes. There was NO place to park so we parked illegally and got ticketed. Oh well, we were not going to miss the baptism so it was money well spent. The ceremony was held in the oldest Catholic Church in all of New York State and was really nice. Stephanie and Charlie looked so happy and I'm pretty sure I saw a tear or two from Steph. I'm so glad we made it. Afterwards, we went back to Charlie and Steph's, ate, mingled with their friends and family, and then I congratulated myself for all my efforts over the weekend by drinking an entire bottle of wine by myself.
.
Today I'm so tired, but I'm also quite proud. Laying in bed last night, I said to Rob, "I did it!" He smiled and said, "You did good, too."

2 comments:

the higgins family said...

apparently that cape on your mother's day card wasn't just for show! you really do wear one in real life...but i already knew that. great job...enjoy some R&R today!

The Giorgios said...

Thanks Betsy!